Battle Mountain Humane Society
To provide comprehensive care in a loving and safe environment to animals in need in Fall River County, SD and the surrounding areas, reducing the number of animals in need of rescue and promoting kindness towards animals in the community.
Find out who we are and what we do
Steps for Our Mission
- Provide food, water, shelter, and veterinary care based on each animals needs.
- Promote animal adoption for companion and therapeutic purposes.
- Carefully match animals with adopters capable of meeting their needs.
- Carefully match adopters with animals appropriate for their life styles.
- Provide a loving home for “forever guests” for the duration of their lives.
- Spay or neuter all animals prior to adoption, unless they are too young or for health reasons.
- Promote spaying and neutering in the community to reduce the population of unwanted animals.
- Educate the public regarding the importance of preventative veterinary care.
- Educate the public regarding basic dog care and breed-specific needs.
- Advocate against breed-specific legislation.
- Assist in developing alternate care plans for animals in temporary need of foster care.
Animal Rescue History
On April 4, 2012, we had an electrical fire that burned our shelter to the ground. When the firefighters arrived, the shelter was totally engulfed in flames. While Tonia Wagoner, president of BMHS, hastily rescued many of the animals out of the fire consumed shelter, she had to helplessly watch her own home catch on fire and burn to ashes.
Through Tragedy comes Triumph
It was a gloomy, glum and overwhelming experience, but we still had to carry on. Animals needed feeding, bills needed paying, clean-up needed to be done.
But then my frown was turned upside down, and we were suddenly surrounded by cheerful givers within the community.
Beyond my wildest imagination, I witnessed a generous outpouring community spirit. People donating their time, money and other items. Local organizations, businesses and their clients were all fund-raising for us to help us get back on our feet.
It has been several years since that epic day, and since then we have managed to re-build our shelter. Not only do the homeless animals now have a beautiful new sanctuary, our community still has cheerful giving hearts. We couldn’t have done any of this without our supporters and sponsors. Thank you everyone who has assisted us in the past and present.
What People Say
Battle Mountain Human Society is such an amazing place. Everyone there has such a big heart for these animals and what they do for the dogs there is amazing. The animals are well taken care of and very much loved. Michelle is such an amazing person. I love her and her big heart. It’s nice to know that some of the older dogs will live there life out there and not be put down. Battle Mountain deserves alot of help for all they do for those animals. God Bless Battle Mountain Human Society. Hope to come back soon
Tammy Schrader Miller
This is a wonderful rescue group / shelter! I have followed them for a few years and visited there last year. The dogs have a lot of room to run around and are not always kept in kennels. They seem to be happy there. A no kill shelter is hard to find these days. The people that work so hard to care for these animals deserve a lot of recognition!
This is a true no kill shelter and you guys do so many things to help animals in need. Truly some of the most amazing people I’ve ever met involved with Battle Mountain who give their all everyday!! I can’t thank you enough for all the hard work you guys do!
Want to get involved?